Jo Brimmell BSc Hons, PGCE PG Dip. Nutritional Therapist and Energy Alignment Mentor
Here are some tips to manage anxiety and energy levels. If you’re experiencing high stress levels, some of these ideas could be really useful for managing your symptoms:
- Avoid sugar and sugary foods and drinks, as it does cause you to feel more anxious
Look after your gut bacteria – feed them the things they like, such as fruit and vegetables and they will help you to feel good. If you feed them junk you will change the balance to bad gut bacteria and you will feel bad. Try eating at least 5 vegetables plus 2 fruits a day. (Remember fruits are sugary, so not too many!)
- Try this 5 a day smoothie recipe:
1 small banana
A handful of frozen berries
1 broccoli floret
1 small carrot
A handful of spinach
Put all of the ingredients in a blender and cover with a cup of plant based milk (almond milk works well if you are ok with nuts, otherwise oat milk – but check there is no added oil). Blend until smooth. You can also try adding a spoonful of ground flaxseeds for extra digestive benefits or try inventing your own veggie smoothies.
- Support your gut with a probiotic – one with a broad spectrum of bacteria and a bacteria count in the billions. Alternatively try drinking kefir.
- Keep your blood sugar stable – snack on vegetable sticks and hummus or a handful of pumpkin or sunflower seeds.
- Are you taking vitamin D? Try a supplement that comes with Vitamin K2 to help you absorb nutrients into the correct places in your body.
Maximum doses according to the NHS:
Children under 1 year should take no more than 1000iu.
Children under 10 years should take no more than 2000iu a day.
11 years – Adult can safely take up to 4000iu a day.
- Turn off social media and have a break from it.
- Get outside barefoot on the Earth and ground yourself. Grounding has the power to connect us with the Earth, relax and calm us.
- Connect with nature. Go for a daily walk. What plants can you see? Notice the differences in their leaves. Breathe in the countryside air. What can you see, hear, smell and feel?
- Use the vibration of your voice to release negative energy and replace it with positive affirmations. Spoken affirmations can be really powerful!
Try saying: I am ready to release any and all feelings of anxiety* (*replace this with any negative feeling or thought) I release it from my energy now, in all forms on all levels at all points in time. (Repeat this 3x)
Then say your positive affirmation: I am ready to feel calm and relaxed and filled with hope/ joy/ happiness/ peace/ love (pick what feels right for you) I allow this into my energy now in all forms on all levels at all points in time. (Repeat this 3x)
- Try heart focused breathing. Close your eyes and imagine yourself breathing into your heart or chest area. Allow your breath to slow and imagine it filling your heart and chest as you breathe in, pause for a moment, before releasing it slowly on the out breath. Try this for a couple of minutes. If you are not sure how long to breathe in and out for try counting to 5 on each in breath and again on the out breath. This technique can be used anywhere to calm your nervous system and help you to relax.
- The most important thing is to remember anxiety will pass and to persevere with these techniques or any that help, and it will get better! Seek help if you feel you need it.